Hippies and warmists don’t like to be questioned.
In their world, there is only one view allowed. Theirs. Should you dare disagree, you are deviant. Diversity is desired in nature but abhored by the left. Dissenters must be discredited, or hounded, or censored. What dissenters must not be, is heard.
What hippies, warmists or lefties cannot shout down, they shut down. The debate is over, the revolution will not be televised.
Phelim McAleer is no stranger to the censorious nature of warmists. Gasland director Josh Fox has added his name to the rogues gallery of agenda-driven propagandists that will. not. be. questioned. Fox has used the 26 seconds of Gasland footage McAleer used to claim copyright and shut down the dissent. Phelim explains:
Fox’s excuse is a breach of copyright. In a video that is 3:10 minutes long, we used 26 seconds of Gasland only to show how Fox was being unethical and misleading. It is a classic case of “fair use” of someone’s work for the purpose of criticism and is totally legally allowed if not encouraged under fair use law.
But Fox does not want any criticism. He does not want any freedom of speech.
We now have to hire lawyers to try and have our journalism restored to our own YouTube channel. In the meantime we have put the video up on Vimeo (a YouTube rival). You can see it here until Fox and his lawyers try to force Vimeo to pull it down. We will fight all these attempts to silence our journalism. We have been here before. The Society of Environmental Journalists turned off my mic for asking Al Gore tough questions. The UN used armed security to try and stop me asking difficult questions of a scientist and a politician at the UN climate conference in Copenhagen. And environmentalists attacked me on live television for daring to question the orthodoxy.
And the makers of the Age of Stupid, another eco-disaster fantasy, had me removed from their press gallery for asking the “wrong questions”. They also took legal action to have the blog showing their behavior removed from the internet.
They did not succeed and Josh Fox will not succeed.
Josh Fox may or may not succeed in his efforts to prevent McAleer from exposing him as an agit-prop hipster.
While it lasts, here’s the Vimeo version of Phelim’s film.
**UPDATE: Fox pulled the video from Vimeo, but Phelim has it self hosted here.**
Fox’s tactics are not new, he’s just the latest hippie hipster to walk the path.
Other examples of the Shut Up, they explained prefer censorship over debate.
- Al Gore himself opined the global warming debate was over (audio at link).
- The Union of Concerned Scientists want Sean Hannity fired, because having his voice silenced is easier than proving your case.
- Students at the universities of Waterloo and Ottawa prefer censorship to debate. Just ask Christie Blatchford or Ann Coulter.
- Students in journalism at American University determined that if you must debate global warming, things will go easier if skeptics aren’t included.
- In the UK, Channel 4′s The Great Global Warming Swindle movie so enraged the warmists that they succeeded in having the network censured, even though the broadcast standards panel found the public had not been misled.
- Michael Moore discovered that being on the other side of the camera in ambush film-making was no fun and used his influence to have Shooting Michael Moore pulled from cinemas (PDF).
- The University of Virginia has spent $500,000 to prevent Michael Mann’s work being released.
- Not complying with FOIA requests is par for the course for warmist scientists. Recall what Phil Jones, head of the Climate Research Unit at UEA said:
The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone
Censorship and left-leaning causes are no strangers because it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
The truth will set you free, and that won’t do at all.