Are you sick of wearing the same hoodies as everyone else? Is it time to make your own sweatshirt? Now you too can make custom hoodies all by yourself. The twelve methods listed below will make sure that you become an expert in how to make your own customized sweatshirt. Let’s get started! If you want any more information about making a sweatshirt, beyond what is contained here with these 12 techniques, then I would suggest checking out my book on how to customize a sweatshirt. In there I talk about many different variables when it comes to customization and detail extensively each aspect of construction from start to finish.
Table of Contents
Here are the 12 ways to customize a sweatshirt:
- Make your own custom hoodie using paint, markers, and pens
- Using fabric markers to make a personalized sweatshirt
- Add sunglasses or safety goggles
- Wear a unique tee underneath
- A unique way to wear your sweatshirt
- Cuff up the bottom hem of your sweatshirt
- Use patches to make any design you want
- How to make a DIY printing press
- Get double use out of one shirt: make shorts
- Customize sneakers
- Accessorize with jewelry
- How to make it look like you are wearing nothing at all
1) The first easy way to customize a sweatshirt is by drawing on it with different types of pencils, pens, sharpies, etc. The sky is the limit. You can make any design you want or make up words that nobody has ever seen before to make your own apparel brand. If you are looking for inspiration, then check out my article on how to make your own sweatshirt. Here are a few examples of what drawings look like on a sweatshirt:
2) Fabric markers are another way to make custom hoodies. They are used by companies such as Nike and Adidas all the time because they make very clear marks with lots of pigment color. This type of marker is great because it won’t fade regardless if it gets washed or dried in an industrial machine at a Laundromat. Also, these particular fabric markers have much better than sharpies. Check out my article on fabric markers to make your own sweatshirt. Here are a few examples of what drawings look like on a sweatshirt:
3) If you want to make custom hoodies but don’t feel like drawing, then take your two favorite sunglasses and wear them under your custom made hoodie for an original fashion statement. I wouldn’t recommend wearing it in the rain or snow however because the lenses will fog up and you’ll be blinded by driving rain and sleet pellets! Check out my article about sunglasses for how to make a sweatshirt. Here is an example of sunglasses under a hoodie:
4) Making your own large graphic t-shirt underneath the one you wear every day is another easy way to make fun customized apparel. All you have to do make your own sweatshirt is make a cut-out design from your graphic t-shirt and wear it underneath your everyday hoodie. Check out my article about make your own sweatshirt for an example of what I’m talking about:
5) A unique way to make custom apparel is by cuffing up the bottom hem around your ankles and around your calves. This makes the top part of the sweatshirt look like a dress on you. Sometimes, cuffed hems tickle people because they’re so different looking – but not everyone has tried this ‘fashion trend’ before! Check out my article about how to make a custom sweatshirt.
6) If you want even more style, then add amazing patches all over your make-your-own custom sweatshirt, because it will make the shirt look super cool. Check out these amazing patch iron ons for how to make a custom hoodie. Here are some examples of patches on sweatshirts:
7) You can make your own apparel brand or make up any kind of design you want by signing up at artscow.com and printing off your favorite designs onto t-shirts, bags, socks, notebooks, mousepads etc. So far I have made six personalized t-shirts through them and love them all. The material is thinner than American Apparel’s but doesn’t shrink as much in the washer either – definitely check it out! Here are some examples of t-shirt printings
8) How to make a printing press at home using stuff you already have lying around the house! For an example of what this looks like, check out my article on how to make your own sweatshirt.
9) Make double use out of one shirt by cutting it up into shorts. Check out my article about make your own hoodie for more pictures and examples. Here is an example of how this works:
10) Customize your sneakers with paint pens or fabric markers for super easy apparel DIYs. Check out the following link for more ideas on how to make a custom sweatshirt:
11) You can accessorize with jewelry just as easily as you can make your own t-shirts, bags, shoes etc. For example, make your own sweatshirt by making a necklace that’s made out of beads or make your own hoodie by wearing an iron on patch around your neck! You can also add customized enamel pins to the sweatshirt to make it more personalized and give it a more unique look. Enamel pins do a lot when it comes to personalizing your style and look, so don’t forget about them when you’re trying to accessorize! Check out my article about make your own sweatshirt for more pictures and examples.
12) Duct tape is super easy to make your own apparel brand or make up any kind of design you want with because it’s so sticky. You can make custom patches, wristbands, wallets & belts just as easily as t-shirts etc. Here are some ways I have used duct tape to customize apparel:
Now that you have a few ideas about how to customize a sweatshirt, make your own sweatshirt or make your own t-shirt – make sure you have some permanent markers on hand so you can start customizing away! Let me know what kind of designs you come up with and how it goes. Thanks for reading my article on make your own sweatshirt and make your own t-shirt.