Different firms offer moving services both locally and from one state to another. The companies offering moving services usually have a moving cost calculator, and it comes in handy when you want to save some money. Some of the things that you should know about calculating costs to hire a moving company will be discussed in this article.
Average Moving Cost
When you want to move locally, you’ll be forced to part with at least $1000 or more. For a long-distance move, you’ll part with at least $4,500. The estimates are for someone residing in a two-bedroom apartment, and their goods may weigh at least 7,500 pounds.
Calculating the Moving Costs
We have issued some estimates above; however, a free moving calculator can help determine the accurate figures regarding the moving costs. Depending on the input requested by the moving calculator, you’ll get a relatively accurate cost from major moving companies.
Different factors can affect the moving costs, and they include:
- Travel fees: the travel fee is dependent on the distance. When the moving firm is calculating the travel fees, some of the factors taken into consideration include the fuel and labor costs.
- Services: although many additional services guarantee some form of convenience, you’ll have to spend some extra money. Here’s a quote from Suddath Moving Company explaining what a full-service move entails: “Full-service moves generally include packing, shipping and transporting your items. They may also include the cost of assembling furniture, securing required permits and cleaning services.”
- Storage: if the moving process seems complicated, you can contact the moving company, and they can go ahead and store your belongings before or after you move from your current house to another. You’ll pay for the storage. You should know the storage rates usually vary from one firm to the next. As a result, you can liaise about the specifics first.
- Moving date: the period when you’re moving can significantly affect the prices. For instance, when you move during the peak season, you’ll pay more.
- The size of the move: if you’re moving numerous items, the moving process will take longer. In the process, the cost of moving will increase.
- Moving add-ons: if there are add-ons, you’ll pay more. Some of the add-ons include moving specialty items, dismantling furniture, and putting it back together, among other things.
- Moving supplies: unless you have enough boxes to pack your belongings during the moving process, you need to acquire moving supplies. Some of these supplies include plastic bins, cardboard boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, among others. The moving cost calculator can help to determine the number of moving supplies you need
- Valuation and liability coverage: when you hire a moving firm, there is the need to acquire liability coverage. The moving corporations usually offer certain levels of protection, and some of them include Full Value Protection and Basic Release Value Protection. There is also the need to acquire additional moving insurance provided by third parties.
Some of the questions that people usually have about moving costs include:
How are Moving Costs Calculated?
If you’re moving from one state to another, the weight of your belongings will determine the cost of moving. You should also keep in mind there are labor costs. The cost of moving locally is different. As you move from one state to another, the cost will be per hour. We also mentioned some add-ons might cost you more. There are moving corporations that also offer a flat rate option, and it is based on the number of hours it will take to move from one point to the next. The fixed cost will also include add-ons.
How Much Will It Cost to Move?
When you hire a professional mover, you will pay $1,000 as the lowest amount. We have also mentioned that it will cost you at least $4,500 to move from one state to another. Some of the factors to consider in this case include the weight of your belongings, the labor costs, among other services you may require, including insurance costs.
How can I Minimize the Moving Costs?
The moving costs can be tax-deductible, which means you need to save the receipts. As you donate different items before or after moving, you will manage to reduce the moving costs. Depending on the donations you have made towards charity, you can claim the tax deductions later. Additionally, when moving from one state to another because of a job transfer, you can claim tax deductions.
Before you hire a moving company, you should first consider whether or not you’ll get value for your money. If you don’t get value for the money, you can consider options that are less expensive. You should also ensure that your budget is flexible. Ensure you’ve looked into the pros and cons before you go ahead and choose a moving method.